May the 4th be with you! A bit of Star Wars humor the day before Cinco De Mayo. Cinco De Mayo for us two-legged mammals is a fun time to get together and gorge on our favorite Mexican foods and alcoholic beverages with regrets the following morning. For our four-legged friends, Cinco De Mayo is not so great in that they cannot partake in the festivities. The favorite Mexican food this fine day is tacos. Who doesn’t love tacos?! Well, unfortunately, your pup cannot eat Mexican food so no tacos for them. Mexican food contains ingredients that are especially dangerous to animals. Onions are harmful to your pooch while dairy, including cheese and sour cream, avocados and fatty foods, in general, can upset some dogs’ stomachs. Woomp Woomp. There goes tacos for your dog and definitely no Margaritas either.
No worries! Here is the perfect Cinco De Mayo taco recipe from Petcha for your best friend with the cutest name ever!
Cinco De May Pup-quito Ingredients: 2 large sweet potatoes, cooked* 1 pound of ground beef 1 bell pepper, diced 1 zucchini, julienned
*Note: Each potato will yield about a dozen pup-quitos.
Instructions: 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Peel the skin off sweet potatoes. Discard the skin.
3. If your sweet potato flesh is hard, then grate the potatoes. If your sweet potato flesh is soft, then pull the potatoes apart into strings — kind of like separating string cheese.
4. Press approximately 2 tablespoons of sweet potato flesh into each cupcake liner. Use your fingers to mold the potato into the shape of the liner, thereby forming little cups.
5. Bake the sweet potato in the oven. If your sweet potato flesh was hard, bake for 15 minutes; if soft, bake for 20 minutes.
6. While the sweet potato is baking, unwrap the ground beef and place it in a non-stick skillet on the stove, with the heat at medium. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, break up the meat into small, equal-sized pieces as it cooks. Keep turning and stirring the meat so it doesn’t overcook in some places and undercook in others. The meat is done once all the pinkish-red has changed to brown.
7. Once your meat is browned — or, if it’s very fatty meat, you may also need to do this a few times as it’s cooking — carefully drain the grease from the meat into a disposable container.
8. Remove the potato shells from the oven. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of hamburger into each cup. Garnish with zucchini and red bell pepper.
When wrapped, pup-quitos will keep in the fridge for up to three days.
Of course, Cinco De Mayo would not be complete without a Margarita so check out this recipe for the dog-friendly version of the beloved beverage.
Cinco De Mayo Barkarita Ingredients: 1 box of chicken broth, frozen 1 box of chicken broth, room temperature
Instructions: 1. The night before the party, pour one box of chicken broth into ice cube trays. Freeze.
2. On the day of the party, pour 1/2 cup of room temperature chicken broth into the bottom of the blender. Add the chicken broth ice cubes on top. Blend, adding more room temperature broth if the consistency looks more like a snow-cone than a slushy.
3. Pour into cups, garnish with a little zucchini, and serve.
Now you and your pooch are set for the Cinco De Mayo festivities! Have fun and stay hydrated!
We just don’t offer dog-friendly recipes, Ruffgers also offers dog training classes and dog boarding in the Florida area.